Sunday, March 29, 2009

Flat Stanley Arrives at Di's Place in Belgium

Dear Van and Classmates,

I have arrived safely in Belgium. A little bit flatter than when you put me in the post but safe and in one piece.

So far, it has been interesting.
Belgium is a very small country. It is 11,787 square miles in size and has a population of about 10.7 million.

But you sent me to Di.
She is not Belgian, did you know it? She is a New Zealander and her accent is a little bit difficult to understand.

This morning I had my first traditional Sunday Belgian breakfast.
I might stay here. Do you know, they go out to the bakery and buy bread and cakes?!!

I am sorry to say, I forgot to take photographs for you but perhaps I will do it next Sunday and anyway, it would have just made you hungry.

Tomorrow Di has promised to take me into Antwerp city with the camera.

Some things you need to know about Antwerp.
It is located in Flanders - the Flemish side of Belgium. (The other side is called Wallonia).

In Flanders they speak Dutch (they call it Nederlands here) and the Wallonians speak French. It will be okay for me though, as they speak a lot of English. Di likes this too.

Antwerp's population is 472,071 and it is the home of the world's fourth largest port.

There is so much more to tell you about!
We will visit a castle tomorrow, Di will also tell me where the name of the city comes from and we will talk of the giants who used to live here. I am a little bit scared.

I will write soon.

Lots of love
Flat Stanley, in Belgium.

5 comments:

  1. When I lived in Belgium, my Girl sent her Flat Stanley to America for adventures. He had quite the good trip and visited sites in Virginia, Oklahoma, and Missouri.

    After reading this, I rather like the idea of mailing MYSELF to Belgium to see my friend Di. I just need to become flatter and not fatter. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading "Flat Stanley" to my children when they were younger - but I didn't know that there were Flat Stanleys travelling the world like this, what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so cool Di, can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow this is amazing, and it's so nice of you to do this for our little Van. i can't wait to see where flat stanley goes next! ~dana~
    (little van's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dana, it's a pleasure.

    Stanley's off to Istanbul with me next Thursday but we'll work through Antwerp until I leave.

    ReplyDelete